Rss Feed
  1. Dates with Pablo Neruda...

    Wednesday 7 March 2012

    Poetry is something I have always been in love with but the preoccupation was always with Bangla (Bengali) poems and poets. It was only until a friend cum brother Srikumar Dasgupta introduced me to the lines:
             
                  And it was at that age ... Poetry arrived
    in search of me. I don't know, I don't know where
    it came from, from winter or a river.
    I don't know how or when,
    no they were not voices, they were not
    words, nor silence,
    but from a street I was summoned,
    from the branches of night,
    abruptly from the others,
    among violent fires
    or returning alone,
    there I was without a face
    and it touched me.

    I did not know what to say, my mouth
    had no way
    with names,
    my eyes were blind,
    and something started in my soul,
    fever or forgotten wings,
    and I made my own way,
    deciphering
    that fire,
    and I wrote the first faint line,
    faint, without substance, pure
    nonsense,
    pure wisdom
    of someone who knows nothing,
    and suddenly I saw
    the heavens
    unfastened
    and open,
    planets,
    palpitating plantations,
    shadow perforated,
    riddled
    with arrows, fire and flowers,
    the winding night, the universe.

    And I, infinitesimal being,
    drunk with the great starry
    void,
    likeness, image of
    mystery,
    felt myself a pure part
    of the abyss,
    I wheeled with the stars,
    my heart broke loose on the wind. 

    And I fell in love with Pablo Neruda... Since then, all my midnight coffees have been accompanied by Neruda... I read him over and over again and kept wondering how can someone speak out my mind and how can someone speak my heart at such ease...How can someone write lines like 
    "love is so brief, forgetting so long..." or "I want to do with you what spring does to the cherry trees" and the list of wondering continued...

     It's not that, I have not read romantic poems earlier. Sharing a common mother tongue with Rabindranath Thakur and the God of Romanticism Jibanananda Das himself, I have never fall short of poetry of any genre. But all their poems, though very expressive, always expressed their own feelings but Neruda inspite of not being my fellow countryman and inspite of all the dissimilarities of age and time between us, seemed so much more related to me...I wish I could assemble all his works here, but I surely cannot miss this one...

       
    If You Forget Me 

    I want you to know 
    one thing. 

    You know how this is: 
    if I look 
    at the crystal moon, at the red branch 
    of the slow autumn at my window, 
    if I touch 
    near the fire 
    the impalpable ash 
    or the wrinkled body of the log, 
    everything carries me to you, 
    as if everything that exists, 
    aromas, light, metals, 
    were little boats 
    that sail 
    toward those isles of yours that wait for me. 

    Well, now, 
    if little by little you stop loving me 
    I shall stop loving you little by little. 

    If suddenly 
    you forget me 
    do not look for me, 
    for I shall already have forgotten you. 

    If you think it long and mad, 
    the wind of banners 
    that passes through my life, 
    and you decide 
    to leave me at the shore 
    of the heart where I have roots, 
    remember 
    that on that day, 
    at that hour, 
    I shall lift my arms 
    and my roots will set off 
    to seek another land. 

    But 
    if each day, 
    each hour, 
    you feel that you are destined for me 
    with implacable sweetness, 
    if each day a flower 
    climbs up to your lips to seek me, 
    ah my love, ah my own, 
    in me all that fire is repeated, 
    in me nothing is extinguished or forgotten, 
    my love feeds on your love, beloved, 
    and as long as you live it will be in your arms 
    without leaving mine. 

    As long as people would continue falling in love, Neruda would be always remain in the hearts of lovers!!

  2. 2 comments:

    1. Ray said...

      The new generation poets keep saying, "use thesaurus, avoid cliché". I just feel like asking them "Haven't you read Neruda yet?" or "Have you never been in love?"
      Reading him, and falling in love is same kind of experience.

      Thanks for such a lovely post! =)

    2. i envy people who can analyse poetry technically without killing its beauty!!! and i envy you Ray

    Post a Comment